Architectural design is one of the technical means that are used in creating the first designs of architectural facilities, whether it is for housing, or for commercial and professional use, and architectural design is also known as a set of stages that depend on drawing and planning in order to formulate the ideas and images used in establishing the art of architecture, Among other definitions of the concept of architectural design: It is a type of human innovation and creativity, which depends on the use of technical or computer hand tools in order to design an architectural building that provides a service or benefit to people.
The concept of architectural design denotes all logical and scientific processes that are able to define shapes and organizations, and it also indicates the processes that can create spaces for a person to be able to implement the activities he needs.
The art of architectural design is a work of art par excellence, and it is a creative work, as many buildings that were designed a long time ago are still considered to this day creative works of art, whether heritage, antique or modern, and it is considered one of the most important landmarks in the country, which is intended for visitors only; To see the splendor of the magnificent architectural design.
The art of architecture is considered one of the oldest professions in the world that man has known and practiced over time, and architectural design is taught today as a scientific subject in most universities and courses related to architecture.
There are several sciences related to the art of architectural design, and these sciences include: philosophy, sociology, psychology, and mathematics, in addition to materials science, history, applied engineering science, and also construction science.
Architectural design evolution
Many years ago, engineering and architectural design students would spend hours building a 3D model, or creating very detailed drawings. To clarify the idea of the building or the interior design, but with the technological development, students are using hardware and software for design, which helps to complete the work and creative designs with accuracy and high speed.
The benefits of architectural design programs do not stop there, they also have benefits in terms of detecting errors before they happen on the ground when implementing projects, thus saving thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars in materials, effort and time.
And designers used to spend a lot of time erasing, modifying and refining their paintings and plans, while now and after this progress and technological development and the spread of design programs, architects can accomplish much more than that compared to the past with high accuracy and speed.
Design programs help in improving the communication process between all parties involved in the project, and with this large number of different design programs, you can easily choose the best among them and the right one for you to work on, and to present your vision for design in meetings.
This advancement in design programs includes everything on which traditional architecture is built; It is for this reason that the use of design software has become an integral part of the architectural field.
Architectural design elements
The configuration component is one of the most important elements of architectural design; It is the one who contributes to the link between the architectural design and the cultural, social and historical influences surrounding the architectural design, which helps to enhance its integration with society.
It is to maintain harmony between all components of architectural design, from shapes, colors, sizes, and all details related to architecture, which need to adhere to one engineering system, to achieve the desired result of the architectural design.
It is the form that the architectural design acquires after it is completely completed, and it is divided into two parts, namely: the internal character, which includes all the internal components of the building, and the external character that reflects the nature of the interior, and is characterized by containing a group of distinctive designs.
Expression is an essential component of architectural design. As it is keen to reflect and clarify the main idea, or the basic goal of the building, and the architectural expression varies between buildings according to a set of factors such as geographical location, climate, population, and other factors.
Architectural Design Means
There are many means, media and basis for designing any architectural project, namely:
- Determine the type of project that will be worked on.
- The location in which the architectural work will be designed, where the appropriate area, neighborhood and place are determined, and the costs related to the project are calculated, in addition to considering the obstacles that may be encountered.
- Divisions: that is, the division and division of regions, and the organizations in which the type of building to be erected is determined, heights are determined, in addition to construction methods.
- Topographic features, where the topography of the land on which the project will be built must be determined, that is, it is within sloping land, for example, or within flat land.
- Road traffic leading to the project.
- The tracks, which are within a single architectural project.
Architectural design requirements
Any architectural design for any project requires several things that must be worked on, namely:
- Determining the land on which the architectural project will be built.
- Site (land) analysis: in terms of the surrounding urban environment, traffic flow, accessibility, sources of disturbance, views, and climate (wind, sun, etc.).
- Relationship Diagram: It is to clarify the relationship between the project elements, and it is in the form of circles. Each circle represents an element in the space, clustered with each other randomly, as in the following picture:
- Schematic diagram.
- Design a plan.
- A special design for the main interface of the project.
Stages of architectural design
From the steps and stages of architectural design and construction:
- Attracting and gathering information, which is the initial stage of any architectural design and construction project, as this stage requires identifying requirements and preparing studies for each project, including the problem and variables in its various dimensions.
- Analyze the information gathered.
- Creating new ideas, after reviewing the previous ideas.
- Draw and create a plan for the initial solutions to the problem.
- Work to compare and evaluate alternatives, and then start the project.
Different dimensions of architectural design
Architectural design goals
Supporting the ability of the engineer and architect to visualize the new designs that will be worked on, which contribute to presenting a creative modern architectural masterpiece.
Relying on discovery in dealing with the environment surrounding the architect, which helps him to develop a set of distinctive designs, which fit the community and the surrounding environment, and fit the place in which the design will be applied.
Helping the architectural designer to develop his style of decision-making through his choice of colors, lines, and shapes for the architectural design, which are appropriate and appropriate for the architectural design.
Support and develop the architectural designer’s ability to notice the details of the design, in order to achieve the final result of the design in a correct, accurate, and error-free manner.
Interest in cultural thought and the prevailing social thought in societies; That is, the architectural design must be similar to the nature of these ideas so that the residents can accept them easily.
Interest in showing the aesthetic details of architecture, to preserve it throughout history.